Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can a woman of faith and a man of science agree to meet in the middle and live happy productive lives?

I believe so.....In fact, I'm counting on it!Can a woman of faith and a man of science agree to meet in the middle and live happy productive lives?
im not sure I would describe myself as a 'man of science'...but I'm very rational...and I had a perfectly fine relationship with a southern baptist for quite a while. Our different views never were a problem...in fact she ironically seemed to have deep respect for my opinion on many spiritual topics.

I was also quite able to have civil debate and discussion about christianity with her fanatic family members without it ever becoming emotional...its really simple if you take the effort to approach it correctly...In fact, now that i think about it, the best way to have a civil discussion is to have such complete and good understanding of your philosophy that you really can say something about any question at all, you never hit any sort of cognitive dead end that stimulates some fight or flight emotion.
If you respect and love each other, your faith in God and science, depending on where you find your center on both, is up to you.

Love is tolerance too. I am assuming you're talking about a marriage, but friendships work that way too. I may not always believe in the same things my friends believe in. But if they're there for me, its not because they're people of God or science; they're there for me because they care about me.

That's how it works. It has little to do with personal faith systems. I know a pastor who, among his friends, says he believes he is an atheist and only serves people in his church because he cares for them. To him its not about God its about helping others. Rather than preach God, he simply preaches from parables instead. Merely trying to guide people to be kind to one another. I can't imagine how anyone in his church would want to keep him there, but apparently they like him anyway.

The point I'm getting at is, its the relationship between people. In marriage it ends when one spouse dies. It works the same with friendships in life too.

So yes, I think you can count on it. Good luck.Can a woman of faith and a man of science agree to meet in the middle and live happy productive lives?
Yes, I've done it, shocking as that may be to anyone who's familiar with my posts.

Edit: Ignore Bert's post, it's founded upon naught but ignorance and faulty logic. I'm not entirely sure why he thinks I secretly don't accept scientific fact because my partner doesn't, nor do I quite get why I should pretend I don't accept scientific theories and call myself something else (though I'm not entirely sure what a 'follower of science' should be called in the first place - 'scientist' is probably closest, but I highly doubt we'd call school children who'd just learnt evolution 'scientists').
Regardless, I certainly don't consider my university education 'false doctrine' or anything along those lines. The idea that you need to share the exact opinions as your partner is mind blowingly ridiculous.
It depends on how set the scientist are in there ways. There are many scientist that are creationists or intelligent design oriented. However I have an in-law whom is married to a christian woman active in her church as well as him so I assumed though he was a scientist would appreciate a discussion on evolution verses creationism. to my surprise he snapped at me don't go there I have been studying evolution for 30 years. that is a lot of time invested in something to have to face the truth about. Evolutionist insist that they are right with the same blind faith they accuse us off. there are more scientist out there however then you think that believe in God. It is a precarious position for them being that the influential scientific community (renowned, accepted or any other forms or political power) will humiliate them and any mention of God may result in loss of grants or jobs. Even though there is more evidence against evolution and big bang. Unfortunately are students are being taught these theories as fact. To the question of, "Can they live happy productive lives?" My in-laws seem to be doing very well for many years. He worked at Nasa her in the church. So I think it boils down to the individual couples and what they are willing to tolerate from one another. The hope is that the other will come around. there is a scripture that says if you are saved so will be your family. But there is another that tells us not to be unevenly yoked. these are both periphrases you take it from there.Can a woman of faith and a man of science agree to meet in the middle and live happy productive lives?
Not if they are true to what they believe.

If she is of faith, she will try to teach him.

If he is not of faith, he will try to teach her.

If they "meet in the middle" they are both turning from their beliefs and should stop calling themselves what they are no longer.

It is possible to live happy productive lives without being dedicated to your belief, so that would be where you decide what your priorities are.

I wish you both the best in your efforts.
I met one once, married to a women of faith. But to do it without wars every so often, cold wars or loud wars, they are all harmful, he'd have to accept that there is a God. And it would at the least have to be the same God as you've got.
I think a man of faith and a woman of science would do well also.



Its not one or the other. You an be very scientific and still believe that there is a greater power.
I've seen couples like that. The just have to have a lot of mutual respect and it works out fine. Best of luck to you.
Yes. My wife is a Christian and I'm agnostic. We have some really good conversations.
No.



What will your children be... The removal of distentions is EXACTLY what Satan wants..
If they only knew where the middle was.
Sure why not. Love has many a curious twist.
Sure, just don't talk too much to each other....!!
It occurs more than we know.
maybe but it is a risk unless he can respect your beliefs...see marriage...TIRH

No comments:

Post a Comment