Saturday, February 18, 2012

What is the standard visitation in Texas for parents who live 9 hours away?

does anyone know what the standard visitation in texas is for parenst who live 536 miles apart? Is it still the 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekend? It is not possible for a parent with a job to meet half way every other weekend at that distance at 6 pm, nor is it reasonable to expect a child to do that. Has anyone experienced this or do you know where to find the info? we just want to work it out as reasonably as possible.What is the standard visitation in Texas for parents who live 9 hours away?
I do not know the law in Texas, and I am not a lawyer, but as a parent who has dealt with a similar situation in Ohio in the past, I can offer my personal opinion.



"Standard" visitation is what the court orders when the parties have not come to a reasonable understanding that is in the best interest of the child.



You do not say how old this child is, nor whether both parents work the "standard" American work week of M-F 9-5 or some other schedule



My best advice is to be very flexible. If there is a long weekend or school break, let the non-custodial parent take the child for all or most of it.



Although my ex husband and I only lived 90 miles apart, we resolved that whichever parent had plans that would be most fun for our son would have him. That said, if his dad's camping trip happened to fall on "my" weekend, he went with his dad. If I was going to a ball game on "his" weekend, our son stayed with me.



Court ordered visitation is a guideline. The custodial parent must ALLOW at LEAST that much time with the non-custodial parent, but as long as the two parents come to an alternate agreement, there is no trouble with the court.



That said, if for some reason the parents can decide WHO should have the child for a particular weekend, then the court order would govern.
  • sailboats for sale
  • mopar
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment